DJK

Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Job

Its days like today that remind me how much I love my job. I love the public I serve, the people I work with, I even don't mind MONDAY mornings or the paperwork. Seriously, even MATH everyday doesn't get me down. Today I met a gentleman who was 83. He read my name off of my desk and asked me if I knew a man named C.E. He went on to tell me how he use to work for my grandfather. My dad's dad owned a grocery store in town for awhile. This man told me how he use to deliver groceries on his bike for my Paw Paw Kimbrell. I never met my grandfather or two other grandparents that were mine. I'm sure he would have loved me:) Perhaps, I would have been his favorite even :) I am the youngest of the grandchildren and the only one he didn't know about it. My aunt was pregnant with the next to the youngest grandchild when he died. My family tells me stories all the time but it was different today to hear a story from a man that only knew him as a boss and as contributing member of society. He said nice things that made me leave my office with tears in my eyes so thankful. I was thankful for this conversation that reminds me of my roots. I was thankful that I was back in my hometown and my world didn't seem so big. All any of us can ask from our jobs is that it allows us to contribute to our society and make a difference. I'm not a "predatory lender", Matt K. I like the difference my job allows me to make. Am I valuable b/c of my job? No....but thank God He has allowed me to enjoy my 9-5 for now! I hope you all do!

5 Comments:

  • At 2:46 AM , Blogger beth ewing said...

    i think you're valuable and that is a great story. although i think your true calling is photography, i think it is awesome that God has shown you that there are things out there that you never imagined doing that would bring you joy and satisfaction. what an AMAZING God we serve that continues to show us that the minute we put Him in a box and say that He can only do one thing through us, he proves us wrong and shows how BIG He is.

     
  • At 9:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You ARE valuable becasue of your job...and for a myriad of other reasons...especially to me!!

    DJ Martin

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    If your so into contributing to your society and serving your public, then how about serving and contributing your time over here in babysitting :/ JK

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger THE HOWELL FAMILY said...

    I have to add that I think you are valuable for many reasons other than your job as well. The Lord obviously thinks you are valuable where you are though...or you would be elsewhere! I am so glad you got to hear of your PawPaw from a complete stranger. It does strengthen your roots and spur you on to living a life worth remembering, doesn't it?? It blows me away that God loves us enough to give us such specific and needed little joys in life...even when they are not requested!

     
  • At 10:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a neat story! I believe it was the same week (maybe even day) that you helped a teacher who has been a friend for almost 13 years... There was a wait in the lobby to meet with DJK!

    EBW :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home